It’s easy to forget about the career advice I’m going to share in the next paragraphs, but it shouldn’t be overlooked.
You crave to be smart, respected, well-paid and indispensable in the job market. Who does not?
You want to lead and play big roles in your company. This is a fair aspiration. But there is a hiccup.
Reaching this level of success requires that you pay your dues, do your homework, and outsmart your competitors. “But where do I start?” you may ask.
This is a fair question.
Don’t have a system? Don’t let that stop you. That brings us to our main point: A career advice you can start using right away.
Let’s look at some research.
According to Andrew Perrin, a research analyst at Pew Research Center, “Adults whose annual household income is $30,000 or less are more likely than those living in households earning $75,000 or more a year to be non-book readers (36% vs. 14%).”
Still not convinced? Here’s how Jim Rohn, the author of Leading an Inspired Life, described the importance of reading, “The only thing worse than not reading a book in the last ninety days is not reading a book in the last ninety days and thinking that it doesn’t matter.”
A career advice that stood the test of time
See, most indispensable talents know that reading is critical to their growth, development, and success in their field of work. Why is that?
To repeat Jim Rhon, “Reading is what brings us to new knowledge. It opens new doors. It helps us understand mysteries. It lets us hear from successful people. Reading is what takes us down the road in our journey.”
In other words, increasing your reading is a career advice you can start implementing today to:
- Acquire knowledge and skills to dominate your field
- Access information that your competitors overlook
- Prepare yourself for big meetings and projects
- Learn from the best in your field and in the world
- See how smart people think and make decisions
- Learn from experts’ experience and build your own mental frameworks
Reading is like the compost that makes your career tree grow greener, healthier, and stronger day after day. And it is the fastest and cheapest way to become knowledgeable, informed, and more competitive.
To circle back. What are you going to do today to increase your appetite for reading?
Have questions or doubts? Shoot the CBL Team an email, and we will help you create and execute a personalized reading system that will set you apart from the crowd.
Please share this post in your network.
PS: A few posts that you might have missed:
- 10 Continuous Improvement Books for Professionals Who Want to be Remarkable
- The Superpower Most Good Employees Forget they Have
- What Undervalued Employees Can Learn from this Champion
- A Daily Mistake That Devalues Even Smart Professionals